It's really hard for me to talk about work these days. We're in the middle of crisis, people get downsized, they're struggling to find jobs... and yet when they talk to me about my work they find me excited, passionate and pumped up. When they say "my day gets so long", I say "my day is too short"... and they can't believe that I really love my work. It's even more than that:
Steve Jobs in his commencement address at Stanford explained how it was important to find "what you love doing" and if you didn't find it, he urged people listening to him not to give up, not to settle, but keep looking. When I finished my business degree I knew I love computers and the Internet but I still wasn't sure what I'd be doing with my life... so I kept searching, started my company and finally built Nozbe and now not only do I love my work, there are 5 things I love about it:
There are 5 fundaments of my work that I really love
When people ask me:
What do you think about your job? Do you like it?
I love it! I feel like I'm the luckiest person on the planet!, because:
- I work on what I love and what I'm passionate about: high-tech, Internet-powered apps that solve real problems and help people get organized and productive every single day,
- I work for people I love as I know that my customers - thousands upon thousands of people from most of the countries in the world depend on my software to stay organized and focused - and I feel connected to them - and the feeling is simply amazing, and humbling and very rewarding,
- I work with people I love working with as I always try to hire people who'll be a great culture-fit for our company; yes, they should be the best in their field and definitely better than me, but they must also be great to be around and interact every day with... and they are, and I love it,
- I work how I love, meaning I work from my home office, and everyone in my company works from home, as I tend to repeat: "work is not a place to go, it's a thing you do" and I love the freedom working remotely gives me and my team,
- And finally I work for the amount of money I love, meaning that I manage to offer competitive salaries to my team and myself and we're financially very stable and growing and happy to be able to live well in spite of this struggling economy.
That's it. This is my ultimate answer. These "5 loves" of my work determine that I feel like the most privileged person on earth. Yes, I'm not a celebrity, I'm not a multi-millionaire, heck, I'm not even a serial-entrepreneur... but every day I get up excited and ready for work which to me is the most rewarding experience in the world. How many people can say that about their day job?
Question: Do you love your work? Why? Why not?
Like this post? Subscribe to my newsletter, and every 2 weeks you'll receive updates from me. You'll also get you my latest book for FREE as a thank-you: "No Office Apps: How the Nozbe team uses modern technologies to communicate better and get more done.".